For cPanel version 11.32
A subdomain is a subsection of your website that exists as a subdirectory in your
public_html folder. Subdomains use a prefix in conjunction with the domain name. For example, if the registered domain name was
example.com, the subdomain will be
It is important to remember that it takes time for the subdomain to become recognized by other computers on the web. Visitors will not be able to view your subdomain immediately; the process takes anywhere from 2 days to a week.
Subdomains can be useful for creating unique user accounts for “vanity domains.” This is helpful if, for example, you have a blog, or any other type of website that uses a domain specifically titled for a user.
1. Add a Subdomain
To create a subdomain:
- Enter the desired prefix in the Subdomain field.
- Select the desired main domain from the pull-down menu.
- Enter the home directory for the subdomain into the Document Root field.
- This directory will be where files pertaining to the subdomain will be placed.
- Click Create.
To open the subdomain’s main directory with the File Manager:
- Click the link under Document Root that corresponds to the subdomain you would like to view in the File Manager.
2. Enable or Disable Subdomain Redirection
To enable or disable redirection of a subdomain:
- Click the Manage Redirection link corresponding to the subdomain you wish to manage. cPanel displays a new screen.
- If you wish to redirect the subdomain, enter the link you would like to redirect the subdomain to in the available text field.
- Click Save.
- To disable the redirect, click Disable Redirection.
3. Remove a Subdomain
To remove an existing subdomain:
- Click the Remove link corresponding to the subdomain you would like to remove. cPanel displays a new screen.
- Confirm that you would like to remove the subdomain by clicking Yes.
- To keep the subdomain, click No.
4. Search Subdomains
You may also search through existing domains:
- Enter the search criteria into the Search field.
- Click Go.
Results matching your search criteria will populate the list.